Thursday, August 19, 2010

12 Day Checkup

On Wednesday, Maycee had her 12 day checkup. The doctor looked her over, took her temperature, checked her weight, measured her height, and poked and prodded 'til she screamed. You know, the normal things doctors do.

Newborns always lose weight after they are born. They are born with extra fat that they shed to help them get going. The doctor told me that the goal is to get them back to their birth weight at 2 weeks.

Maycee was born weighing in at 6 lbs 5 oz.

Maycee's weight at 12 days: 6 lbs 10 oz.

After her weight check the doctor said that she was looking good and my milk was definitely in and "doing her body good". Maycee had also grown 3/4 of an inch!

I called my dad to report the good news of Maycee's weight gain.

Dad's reply, "Wow Kam! You're like one of those jersey cows they feed the cream too! You're a good milker!"

I'm pretty sure that it is written in the famous book entitled, "What you should never compare women to", that a cow is number one on the list. My dad doesn't read much.

3 comments:

Jamie Harmon said...

At our 2 weeks appt, Emma was up a little more than a pound. Our doctor said, "I hope this doesn't offend you, but you must be a good milker." I had the same thought as you-- seriously? Who says that stuff? :)

Anonymous said...

I know a lady who had a baby around the same time as you who grew up on a farm out west, and SHE has been comparing herself to various beasts throughout her entire pregnancy.

For your reading entertainment: http://enpeters.blogspot.com/

You'll have to read lots of posts to catch her farm animal comparisons since I don't recall exactly where they all are...but it's worth the search. She is HILARIOUS.

Bear said...

Bah ha ha ha ha!
Love the posts.
Girl, i am sooo jealous. And so happy that you are so descriptive. I want a baby so bad...I'm still in the husband finding part of the process...
Congratulations on Maycee she's beautiful.