Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Hand Foot Mouth WHA?!

We found a new illness this week.

Maybe "illness" isn't the right term...I should say disease.

Last Friday Maycee wouldn't eat breakfast.  Which was really weird.  I made scrambled eggs.  I've never seen her not eat eggs.  So...I brought them with us on our errands for the day.  Eye Doctor.  Winco.  Maycee did eat her cottage cheese for lunch and so I didn't think much of her not eating breakfast.

When I put Maycee down for her nap that day she felt a little warm, so I checked her temperature.  She was hovering between the high 99's and the low 100's.  I didn't think it was bad enough to do anything.

On Saturday Maycee didn't take a nap, she wouldn't.  We finally gave up trying and decided to look forward to bed time.  Stephen and I thought that she would go down great that night.  We put her to bed at the normal time of 8pm.  She bawled.  A lot.  Maycee never cries when she goes to bed.  She's really a champ.

We took turns rocking and singing to her to get her to go to sleep.

That didn't happen until 1am, when Maycee and Stephen fell asleep on the couch watching Justice League.

Sunday Maycee woke up great.  When Stephen was changing her to go to church he found a ton of bumps all over her bottom.

...I know...this sounds really bad when you look at it all together, but in my defense Maycee is a really great "sick kid".  She doesn't really get cranky.  I guess I didn't see the picture together.

Anyway, I tried to call my mom to see if I should take her to church.  She wasn't home.  Apparently Relief Society Presidents have very early Sundays.  I tried to call Krystal, our officially graduated nurse, but her phone was turned off.  I finally called a friend in the ward and she said to bring her to church.

At church I started noticing more bumps.  Some around her mouth.  Some on her hands.

Crap.

I asked another friend at church.  She grabbed another nurse in the ward.

After one look she said, "Yeah, that is Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease."

...What the?!  I had never even heard of that.  She asked if Maycee hadn't been eating and had a fever...Now I felt like a bad mom.  I replied in the affirmative and she said that it was really contagious.

I really don't want to even mention that fact that Maycee was sharing crackers with a few kids in the bench in front of us.  One kid happened to also be a part of a new family who had just moved in.  It was their first Sunday...Stephen immediately took Maycee home and I confessed to the other moms what had happened.  ...Welcome to the ward.

I feel awful.

After reading a ton of things online I have now learned that Maycee is contagious for 3 weeks.

Seriously!?

Not only have we canceled our Utah trip because of it, but there will be no going to the park for weeks.  Wow.  Maycee is going to be one cranky little girl by the end of this illness.

As an interesting little side note...other that the spots, you can't even tell she is sick.  She is a happy little camper.  That can't go to the park.  And can't play with Cooper.  We're hoping to minimize the damage.

No comments: