Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Co-Ed

Stephen and I are now officially a part of a co-ed softball team.  Along with Krystal and Shane.

Just in case you are wondering, it was not my idea.  Much to my sister, Krystal's, debates I really had nothing to do with it.  I was terrified.

Last night at 7:45 we had our first game.

Krystal said that she signed us up in the "beer drinking" league.  So we wouldn't stand out as the worst team on the league.

Much to my amazement we kicked the other teams trash!  We were awesome!  It really wasn't so much anything that I did, as it was the other people that Krystal recruited.

Let me set up a few of the plays for you.

Wait...before that you must know that Krystal is the awesomest softball player ever.  She turned down college scholarships to go where she wanted.  She has played for 17 years.  Yeah.  She's good.

K.

Our team was in the...I don't even know the correct terminology...field?

Not hitting.

The other team was batting and hit a fly ball to center field.  Right in between Stephen and Krystal.  We watched as both of them were running to catch the ball.  Even though Stephen is not the softball connoisseur that Krystal is, he is still a foot taller than her.  They both ran into each other and Stephen reached up to catch the ball.

Stephen caught the ball!!  I was so proud!

As Stephen caught the ball, the other team began to shout, "Let the girl play!"

...If they only knew how reversed the roles were.  They would have been shouting, "Let Stephen play!"

Another play....this was before they knew that Krystal was really good.

We were batting and the bases were loaded.  Krystal went up to bat.  The pitcher told the outfielders to come closer...because she was a girl.  Krystal hit a grand slam and made a home run.  Getting all of our other players home as well.  Woot woot!

Last play...Shane was the pitcher and I was the catcher.  Shane did awesome, by the way!  I was incredibly nervous to play catcher because I can't catch the ball.  Yeah, what was Krystal thinking making me catcher.  She promised me that Shane would also cover home if we needed it, so I acquiesced to her demand that I play catcher.

The other team was batting and one of their players was coming home.  I wasn't paying attention.  Just as I leaned over to move a bat from near the plate, the player on first chucked a ball to me to get the other guy out.  I totally would have been knocked out.

Phew.

Good thing I ducked when I wasn't paying attention.

GRANDMA IF YOU ARE READING THIS DON'T FREAK OUT!!!  I'M NOT QUITTING SOFTBALL!!

Honestly, it was a lot of fun!  Thanks Krys.  Here's to our winning the championship in the beer drinking league.

Oh, I also forgot to mention that I caught a ball.  Krystal chucked one from out field to me hoping that I would catch it because Shane wasn't there yet.  I caught it!  Didn't get anyone out, but I caught it.

By the way, I am so sore today.

1 comment:

~Kelsey and Nathan Taysom said...

HAHA I LOVED the stories!!!! That is awesome!!! I especially love the part where they had the out field come in when Krys came up to bat! Would have LOVED to see that!
Thanks for keeping me on the updates!