Thursday, September 12, 2013

Adventures in Teaching

So...this week was my week to teach.

Honestly, I was terrified.  Until I really sat down and prepared.  It was fun!  And I was excited about all the cute things that I found.  The leader of the group, Carley, put together the schedule and assignments of what we were to teach.  It is awesome and super helpful.

My theme/letter/number helped me to co-ordinate everything.  My theme was insects.  Letter B.  Number 2.  It turned out awesome!  Pinterest has become my new best friend.  You can find everything on there!  I just wonder how much of it the kids really understood.

The beginning of preschool is a lot of songs.  We sing the primary song, "Here we are together", say a prayer, say the pledge of allegiance, go over the rules, sing a song about the days of the week, do a month chant, and sing a song about the weather.  It's pretty slick.

After introducing the theme/letter/number we jump into our plans.  We read a story about the theme/letter/number and then go onto our projects.  For Tuesday's preschool, our insect was a 'bee,' of course.  Super cute.  Here's Maycee's 'B.'  I told them to draw stripes on their bees.  I think that concept was a little past them.


We then played a game where they had to put their paper bees on all of the letter B's.  Because bees only like b's....They did pretty well!

Here are all of the kiddos: Front - Brystal and Maycee.  Back - Audrey, Rowan, and Jovie.





For snack time we ate bears!  Of course!  I bought a ton of teddy grahams and they gobbled them down.  I thought the bears were also quite perfect because of their honey tie with bees.  That was only cool to me, however.  The 3-year-olds didn't get it.  Just know that I planned it perfectly.


Yeah for preschool!  And Krystal taking Cooper.

Thursday was a new day and a new set of plans.  For the insect, I chose butterflies.  We made our own flying butterflies out of paper and popsicle sticks.  This is Brystal.  She was very intensive about her coloring.  She wouldn't even stop to look at the camera. :)


Here is Maycee, Rowan, and Jovie with their finished butterflies.  They flew them around the couch quite a few times.  They got pretty tired.


I also had a worksheet to help them write the letter B.  Jovie and Brystal were able to trace it, but the other three just wanted to scribble over them.  It is really interesting to see how all of these different kids grasp the concepts so differently and at different paces.  And we're only beginning preschool!

For snacks we had bananas!  Frozen, chocolate covered bananas.  Yum.



Cooper got to stick around for this preschool lesson.  I think he was very glad.  He was the only kid that finished his snack.


Honestly, I really like teaching.  It's quite fun!  Sometimes the kids are crazy and I have to learn how to discipline so they don't run all over me, but other than that things were great!

No comments: