Sunday, August 16, 2009

Silver City

Most everything that we have done this summer has had something to do with camping. So here we go again...another camping post. This time, however, we got to go with new people! We went to the Owyhee Mountains with two families in our ward: The Hoopes family and the Wilkins family. We really had a blast.

A few months ago, the Hoopes family was telling us about Silver City. They said that it was a really cool mining town that they would camp near. So, we set up a trip and off we went. The Hoopes brought up their four-wheelers and we had a blast!

On Friday night we went to bed pretty late. We stayed up talking around the campfire and just laughing at...whatever we were talking about. Austin, Jodi and Kelly Hoopes' son, fell asleep in his camping chair. Let me give you a visual image of how he fell asleep. Jodi says he does this all of the time, but I just cracked up. He was sitting in his camping chair Indian style (according to Jodi it is really know as 'criss cross applesauce'), wrapped in a blanket, with his head laying on the little armrest. He was a pretzel.

My goal in camping this weekend was to get Dan and Kelli Wilkins' little girl, Halle, to like me. She ignored me basically the whole time. Halle is almost two and has the most adorable little pigtails ever. I poked her, took her binky, tickled her, played with her shirt, messed up her hair, AND SHE STILL IGNORED ME!!! This little girl has the endurance of Job. The only way I got her to notice me was to pull out my knock off Winco goldfish crackers, which I call my cheesy sea creatures. Halle instantly liked me and wanted to be my friend, or in other words, she wanted my crackers. Hey, I didn't care how I got her to notice me. I would have sold out for a lot less...she is hilarious.

On Saturday morning we went into Silver City. According to Kelly and Jodi, that place is always deserted, but it was packed! There were people everywhere! It really was the coolest little mining town. They had an old hotel that you could stay at, and an old school house with the bell and everything! They also had a renovated church house with a bell. They held church services there four times a year. The only way that we could see the church was to look through a peep hole. It really was beautiful! We joked that there was actually a picture behind the peep hole rather than the actual church because it looked so pristine and untouched.

Silver City was a party. Thanks to all who came with us!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Okay this just doesn't make any sense my children don't go to places like that they say they are boring. Glad you had a great time.