Sunday, November 1, 2009

Curtains-a-la-mode

The title to my blog may seem a little odd. "Curtains-a-la-mode". When you see the awesomeness that is my curtains, you will understand the blog title.

I am an HGTV watcher. To many men strewn across the country, this is probably a very bad addiction that should be curbed. My husband is one of those men. Every time that he comes home and I have a new idea for our house, he groans and states, "You are not allowed to watch any more HGTV." I'm not a very good wife for completely ignoring his demand. I AM ADDICTED!!! (If Stephen had known this would happen when he really wanted to get DISH, he might not have ever signed up.)

One of my latest projects, care of HGTV, has been curtains in my living room. I really didn't know what I wanted to do and so I started looking at window treatment books in the numerous visits to my favorite sewing stores. Finding the one that I wanted, I went to a sister in my ward, who is a professional seamstress, Deana, to learn the ropes of curtain making. Lookie at what I came up with:
In talking to Deana, she told me to begin by mounting a board in the studs above my windows. I went to Home Depot a bought a 10 foot long mdf board. The board needed to be about nine feet long and I wanted to have some sort of decorative edging around it. I called another sister in my ward, Tiffany, to help me out. She is really good with wood and has a lot of tools to get things done. As a side note, Tiffany put her entire deck in by herself. She also did her kitchen back splash on her own. She's amazing. I took the board to her house and she cut it down and used her router to make it pretty around the edges.

I spent forever looking for the hooks that I wanted . I couldn't seem to find them anywhere. In talking to Kenna, I finally found the ones. Thank you Craft Warehouse.

Here are my curtains before hanging them up. Isn't the material SOOO cute! They had a screaming deal at Home Fabrics.

Here is one of the panels hanging on the wall. Wow...I can't tell you what a difference it made to our living room. It actually made it look like a home rather than a house. That sounds a little weird, but it is true.

Here's the finished product! I'm so excited! I was so proud of myself for taking charge and getting the whole thing accomplished on my own. They are hiding behind the couch, so it is kind of hard to see them. I gave you a few different shots.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

the curtains look wonderful Kami I am excited.