Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Loyalty

This morning one of my friends called me up at 8:30am to ask for a jump for her van.  We were all still in our pj's finishing up breakfast.  I told her I would be there in 7 minutes, then ran to put Levi's on, and buckle my pj clad children into my car.

We drove to their house, just down the street, and her and I proceeded to figure out where to put the jumper cables on my car.  I know, I'm horrible.  Don't judge this farm girl who can at least change a flat tire....Anyway.  As my friend and I were under the hood of my car, the real action began.

Unbeknownst to me, Maycee had unbuckled her seatbelt, got out of the car, and ran into my friend's house to play with her boys.  Ages 8, 6, and 4, the boys ganged up on her.  They teased her about being in her pajamas, they tried to force her to eat food that I had told her to stay away from, then they had threatened to hit her with one of their toys...I know it sounds a little crazy.  Maycee told me this story as we drove home from helping my friend.

I sat in the driver's seat, unsure of what to say.

Maycee then got really upset because I did not go in the house and rescue her from those boys.

Then Cooper chimed in, "Mom, I would have bonked those boys with my head!"

As awful as this sounds, I cannot tell you how proud I was of my little Cooper!!  He was sticking up and fighting for his sister!  Maycee didn't understand why Cooper was going to hurt the boys.  I then explained to her that Cooper was being loyal to her as a brother.  He wanted to protect her from the harm that they were causing her.

Maycee sat and thought for a minute.

Then she said, "MOM, why didn't you let Cooper come in the house and protect me!!"

I held back my laughter of joy.

I am so glad that my kids are watching out for each other.  Even at a young age.

No comments: