Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Book Review: The Giver by Lois Lowry

Those of you who have not read this book PLEASE!!!...DO NOT READ THIS UNTIL YOU HAVE!!!!!!

I have started to read a lot of children/teenager books because all of the "adult" books I have tried have a whole bunch of smut in them. So I recommend the "teen" section.

Every time I go to the library, I go with no specific book in mind and have found some real gems. I don't know how I have gotten so lucky, but I have.

I read this book a month ago and I cannot stop thinking about it. The book begins in the eyes of an eleven year old boy who lives a very different life. I just kept reading because I couldn't figure out what was going on! I didn't understand the world that this boy was living in until I was three-quarters of the way through. These are my thoughts. There are two situations that this book reminded me of:

1.) This book was written to show how we would be living if Satan had gotten his way. We would have no decisions to make. He would rule us. We would not understand that he had control. We would not know what it was like to have a real life with decisions that make us grow.

2.) There is one word that is said throughout the book that leads me to my next point, sameness. The object in this book is to create group of people that are equal. The equality is pushed so far that there is no individuality. This is what I think the government is pushing us towards. They want to create so much equality that it rids us of any personality or freedoms. I have thought a lot lately about how I want to help because of this book. I don't want to live like that!

No comments: