Monday, September 28, 2009

The Scariest Word in the Female Language

OBGYN. I hate going to the OB. It has got to be one of the most uncomfortable appointments. My mom always tells me that after having five kids it really doesn't bother you anymore. Well, I am not yet to the point of having five kids, so I am still in the awkward stage.

I have been looking for a good OB for the last few months. When I first moved to Boise, I went to the first OB that would take me at a moments notice. I was not a fan. I decided to spread my wings and find an OB that would work for MY needs.

After talking to many different women in my ward and to lots of other friends, I finally made my decision. I decided to go to a certified nurse midwife that worked in a hospital. Leading up to my appointment this afternoon, I was really nervous. Not nervous about the procedure, nervous about finding someone that I could trust and feel comfortable with.

At the appointed time I went to the doctor's office to wait in line with numerous pregnant women. When my time came to go back for my check up, out walked Deena, the midwife's nurse. Deena is one of the people who helped me decide to go to this midwife. She is the mother of Stephen's best friend since childhood. Ever since I met Deena for the first time, I loved her. It was such a comfort to see a familiar face. Even more of a comfort to know that she would be there to help me as a nurse. She is awesome!

After Deena finished her nurse duties she said, "I'm going to bring you in a pretty little outfit for you to put on, but don't change until Georgiana (the nurse midwife) has talked to you. She feels that people are more comfortable talking in their clothes." After that she left the room and brought in a purple hospital gown with a pink flower on the breast.

Before even meeting Georgiana, I had two reasons for coming back. One, I would be wearing a pretty purple gown, rather than the ugly white ones, and two, she recognized peoples comfort levels and tried to cater to them.

Georgiana came in and I loved her! She listened to me and talked to me as a person, not as a patient. The appointment went as normal, but in an odd sort of way I was more comfortable. THANK YOU TO ALL OF THOSE DOCTORS AND NURSES WHO TREAT PEOPLE AND NOT PATIENTS!!!

No comments: