Saturday, July 16, 2011

Indian River Part 1

Krystal and Shane have been wanting to float the Indian River in Kuna for a very long time. Every time they ask Stephen and I to go with them, something is already going. They went last week with another friend and then drug Dad and Karli and me along a few days later...minus Shane...and Stephen.

For Mom and Dad's Christmas present this last year all of us kids got them a class to learn how to use their kayaks. Dad is addicted to the classifieds on ksl.com and will just about purchase anything. Obviously. He purchased a kayak at the age of 50.

Dad was extremely nervous about floating this river with Krystal. Let's just say that Krystal sometimes has a tendency to get in over her head with...anything. So we all anxiously got into our allotted modes of travel. Karli and I in the raft. Krystal and Dad in their own kayaks.



As we set off, my knuckles were white from gripping my oar so hard. I was a little nervous as well...I didn't want to leave Stephen and Maycee with a dead wife/mom!
As we went over the first set of rapids, Krystal leaned back and said, "That is as bad as they get!"
Well, those first ones weren't bad so Karli and I figured that we were set.
Krystal lied.
They got way worse.
In the middle of our trip, Krystal and Karli swapped spots. Karli wanted to try out the kayak. While waiting Dad almost lost his oar. Good thing he didn't because he learned just 24 hours later that if you have to lose the kayak or the oar, lose the kayak. The oars are way more expensive.



We made it to the middle of our trek and I hopped out. I survived. AND it was quite fun! Krystal hopped into the third kayak and Dad, Karli, and Krystal held out 'til the end.







Indian River...we have defeated you. Until next time.

No comments: