Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Pears

Canning scares me.

The only time I've done it by myself was last year.  With Stephen.  So technically I didn't really do it by myself.  We canned tomatoes.

This year, I needed to have my hand held again.  We canned pears.

It took us four hours to can seven quarts of pears.

Technically it took me two and a half hours and Stephen four hours.

We started at 8pm after Maycee was in bed.  We washed bottles and lids.  Made the pear syrup.  Boiled the lids.  Peeled pears.  Cut pears.  Filled bottles.

All of the bottles were full and ready to be steamed at 10:30pm.  I fell asleep on the couch while Stephen waited for the steamer to "steam".

That thing took a lot longer to steam than we thought.

Stephen woke me up at midnight to put me to bed.

Seven quarts of pears...check.

1 comment:

~Kelsey and Nathan Taysom said...

Wow you guys are really determined! lol cool though!!!