Thursday, December 18, 2008

Gingerbread Men

So, I began a project about a week or so ago. This "little" project was supposed to be a half day project. You know, the project that was on the small side. That teeny project turned into about three days.

As most of you know, Stephen and I got up way before the early crack of dawn to get ourselves a Christmas tree. As we are newlyweds and don't have every decoration that you have after being married, for say, twenty-six years. We decided that we would only buy a Christmas tree and make our decorations this year. This is where my little project comes in. I decided that I wanted to make gingerbread men to put on the tree.

I have never made gingerbread men before, so I got online to find a recipe. I have found this website for recipes that I really like, and so that was the first place that I looked. http://www.allrecipes.com/ Good site, check it out. Anyway, back to my gingerbread men. I wanted to get a recipe that was really bad, so that no one would have any temptation to eat them. I found the perfect recipe when I found this comment after the ingredients, "There is something wrong with this recipe! No eggs? I'm not certain, but it tasted so bad, I threw out the entire batter, after only baking 1 tray of the cookies!"

I had found my perfect gingerbread men!

There are a lot more things that you need to make these things than just a recipe. I didn't really think about the other things. You need cookie cutters and frosting and little baggies to put the frosting in to decorate. You also need those little tips for the frosting bags, but I forgot those. I did without and nothing was really straight, but oh well!

As I said, this project took me three days to complete, but it was really a lot of fun. I ended up having 92 gingerbread men on my Christmas tree. Here is the final look.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is perfect!! It looks so great! The little men even look pretty yummy :)

2 questions:
Is that a train track around the tree?

Are you wearing an "I survived Hurrican Rita" shirt?? :) haha

Kami D. said...

Yes that train does go around the tree...we got it from my in-laws and yes also for the t-shirt question!

Angela said...

Looks way cute Kami! For future reference... I made some for mine too. Cinnamon, applesauce, and glue. They are called Cinnamon christmas ornaments. Once they dry then you can use puffpaint. They last years and years!

Kami D. said...

Okay, I just have to post this recipe from Angela:
Cinnamon Christmas Ornaments
1/2 cup ground cinnamon,
1/3 cup applesauce, and
1 Tbs. Tacky glue
Mix in bowl and stir until well blended. Work mixture in hands for three minutes to form a ball. If it is ... Read Moretoo dry, add applesauce, if too wet, add more cinnamon. Knead ball on cinnamon-sprinkled surface until it holds togehter well. Roll this out and use cookie cutters for the shapes. You can also use a drinking straw to cut a hanging hole or poke with a toothpick. These can be air dried for 24 to 48 hours. Turn several times. They can also be baked in a slow oven.

I baked mine which turned out great. I've also air dried them and I didn't like that as much. After they come out of the oven I used puff paint to do eyes and decorations and I also used blush for their cheeks.