Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Kids are so smart

On Sunday my primary lesson was on the Second Coming of Jesus Christ. I was really excited going into the lesson because I had a really fun game prepared that I figured they would enjoy.

When I got to class, I knew teaching that day would be difficult. We had our first big snow the night before and ALL of the kids were so antsy to go out and play. Every time I asked a question that pertained to the lesson all of their little hands shot up. I soon began to realize that all of the hands just wanted to talk about the snow, not church.

I took out a picture of Christ. They picture is an artist's depiction of what it will look like when He comes again. Christ is coming out of the clouds surrounded by trumpeting angels and underneath Him is a desert land. As soon as I took out the picture, my little Jane raised her hand. I said, "Jane, does your question have to do with the lesson?" She said no, and so I told her to wait until after the first bell. When she figured out that I was going to skip over her, she said, "Wait! It has to do with the lesson." I gave in and let her have her say.

Jane went off for about three minutes about how one time she was riding in the car and she was looking at the clouds. She thought that one of the clouds looked like a man...I guess the picture must have triggered it.

Getting back on to the lesson again was a little more difficult. The kids were getting restless. My class clown, who I will call Sam, always seems to help with the restless, anti-pay-attention effort. Sunday was no exception. He had brought a long green ribbon that he tried to tie people up with. He only put the ribbon away after I threatened to tie the ribbon in his hair and make him look like a girl. That one worked. One point, Sister Post!

I continued to tell the kids about the Second Coming when Sam raised his hand. I looked at Sam and asked, "Does it have to do with the lesson?" He hesitated and said, "Well, it kind of has to do with the lesson. I just have a question." I was ready for him to say almost anything. Anything except for what he said. This was his question: "When Jesus comes again will anyone come with Him?"

I must say that I was quite shocked. I don't think that I have ever seen Sam be serious. I had to hide my surprise. I had actually never even thought of that before. I really couldn't answer his question. I told him to ask his Dad and that I didn't know. Wow, I really love teaching these kids. I going to be really sad when I lose them in January. :(

No comments: