Sunday, December 28, 2008

White Elephant

Ever since I can remember, my parents have always had animals at our house. We've had bajillions of cats, some dogs, and a few rabbits. ALL of these animals have been outside pets...until Rizzo.

Rizzo in a cat. He was born about four or five months ago with three kitty siblings. Those kitty siblings were literally "loved to death" by the other new pet addition, Emmett. Emmett is a very lovable, very in your face, very much so puppy. He really liked playing with those new little baby kittens, but they just didn't last through his loving.

My little sister, Karli, was devastated by the loss of the kittens and took the last one in as her own. Being the youngest child, she has quite the persuasive skills. My mother caved and allowed Karli to take the baby kitten inside.

This cat has really become a nuisance to almost everyone that enters my parent's house. Rizzo loves to follow people around. He hates to be alone, even when he sleeps. He also has to sleep under the covers. Rizzo also hates to sleep with Karli, ironic.

A month ago while I was talking to my dad on the phone, he periodically would yell at Rizzo. Things like, "Stupid cat," "go bother somone else," or my favorite, "WHY IS THIS CAT IN THE HOUSE?!" Dad then asked me if I wanted a cat. I said, "If you give me $50, I will take that cat off of your hands."

Dad's reply, "...okay!"

That little deal fell through. Karli was not going to let that cat out of the house.

For Christmas this year, Stephen and I went to my parents house. We had decided earlier, that every person was going to bring a white elephant gift to the Christmas party. The rules: you couldn't spend money on the gift and whatever present you opened you took home...regardless.

On Wednesday night everyone gathered downstairs and put our individually wrapped gifts in the corner of the room. Dad was the last one to enter the room with his gift and a characteristic grin that told everyone who knew him that he was up to something.

I looked at Dad and said, "Dad! You have that look. What did you do?"

He ignored me and told me to start the game. Being the youngest, Karli was the first one to pick a present. Before Karli could even get out of her chair, Kory yelled, "THAT PRESENT IS MOVING!"

We all turned to look at the green package that had another gift on top of it. The green package shook and Karli yelled, "DID YOU WRAP MY CAT?!?"

That was too much for Dad, he broke down in a fit of laughter. He had wrapped Rizzo! That man was really desperate. And I'm sure that he wanted to get a laugh.

To watch the unwrapping of Rizzo, see video below: This is Krystal's husband Shane.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like something my brother Jonathan would do...totally. Hilarious!!