Monday, June 29, 2009

You can BUY ladybugs?

I came home from work a couple of days ago and did the usual check of my garden. I picked any weeds I saw and complimented my amazing veggies on their hard work and then bent down to look at my tomatoes...THERE WERE DISGUSTING PURPLE BUGS ON MY PLANT LEAVES!!!! I immediately freaked out and called my dad. He told me to take my problem and a leaf to a professional. I tore off a leaf and went to Zamzows. After all "nobody knows like Zamzows"! (Hehehe to those of you who got my joke).

After I walked into the store and found a worker, I told them of my problem and showed my leaf. The lady hhhmmmed and told me that I had a couple of options. She said they had some spray that I could use and it would kill them, or I could get some ladybugs to eat them. The Zamzow lady recommended the ladybugs because they were less harmful on the plant and later the harvest. Me, being the nerd that I am, asked how I was going to get ladybugs. She turned around and opened the mini fridge behind her and pulled out a small sour cream sized container full of ladybugs. The container had about 100 ladybugs to eat all of our "aphids" as she called them. She gave us instructions on how to place them and then we were off.

So, for those of you who did not understand the title of my blog, you really can buy ladybugs. They just cost a pretty penny. Ladybugs aren't cheap.

Those ladybugs ate our aphids and now we are in business. I sure hope that we have beautiful red tomatoes to eat. I LOVE TOMATOES!!!

No comments: