Thursday, January 5, 2012

Glucose

I hate taking the glucose test.

At around 30 weeks of pregnancy you have to have your blood tested for gestational diabetes.

Yesterday was my test for baby #2.

I've been stressing over it for a week.

Let me explain...when I went in for my test with Maycee, I had just gotten back from the Olive Garden with Krystal and my mom.  I had made sure not to eat any bread sticks, but I also made sure that Krystal stuffed her purse full of them so I could have some afterwards.

After drinking that nasty orange drink of death I wasn't sure how that stuff was going to hold in my stomach for 1 whole hour.  That stuff is disgusting and...I failed.  Even after I had deprived myself of those amazing sticks full of love!

After being on a VERY strict diet for 5 days I went back for my second test.  I had to drink twice as much of that vile orange drink.  After being in my stomach for 40 minutes, that drink came right back up.  Ggggrrrrrr!!!  So...I had to schedule a third time to take the test after being on my strict diet for another 5 days.

I was emotionally traumatized and a complete basket case at this time and therefore never wrote it on my blog for fear that I would have a meltdown while writing the story.  BUT I did pass my test the third time around and Stephen and I finally got to eat real food again.

Because of that long back story you can see my trepidation for taking my test with this little boy.

Prior to going in to take my test, I did not eat any sugar or unhealthy food for 3 days.  I was not going to risk anything.  And with it being right after Christmas we had plenty of good stuff lying around.  It was very difficult.  Anytime I wanted one of my Mini Dark Chocolate Milky Way Bars, I ate an apple.  It was a depressing 3 days.  I wouldn't let Stephen eat anything either...I think he was sinking into depression with all of this good stuff in our house.  We NEVER have this stuff in our house.

Before going in to my appointment I ate a grapefruit and oatmeal with cinnamon.  I was good.

As the nurse took me back to the checkout room, she asked how I was doing.  I told her I was paranoid for my glucose test today.  She stopped walking.

"Did you already take it this morning?"  She asked.

"No," was my reply.

THEY MESSED UP ON THE PAPER WORK AND DIDN'T EVEN HAVE ME SCHEDULED TO TAKE A GLUCOSE TEST!!!!

I thought I was going to lose it.  I felt like this was a sign.   AAHHHHH!!!  I could not fail this thing again!

They got things under control and I drank that foul cup of orange.

This morning I received a call from my midwife stating that I had passed.

HALLELUJAH!!

Not only did I pass, but I passed with flying colors.  The cut off for a normal blood sugar level is 140.  Mine was 115.  [Insert HUGE sigh of relief]

No comments: