Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I Am Here

On November 4, 2008, I had a breakdown. I came home from work that day and walked in the door to see Stephen at the table doing his homework. I burst into tears. Stephen, not knowing what was wrong, rushed over to comfort me.

For months, maybe a year, previous to this date, I had done my homework. I had read up on all of the candidates that were running for president. I had been listening faithfully to my good friend, AM talk radio. I had read anything that I could get my hands on about the economy and made sure that I had a good idea about what was going on around me. I felt that I was ready. With my knowledge I felt sure that I could change the world. I felt like I was Superman...until November 4th. All of the things that I had learned were crashing on top of me. The two candidates that were left made me frightened for America's future. In a sense, I felt powerless to stop it.

After the election, I made a subconscious decision. I cut myself off from my knowledgeable sources. I didn't want that constant worry in the pit of my stomach. I stopped listening to my AM radio, I stopped searching on the Internet, and I stopped talking to people about it altogether. That is, until a few weeks ago...I started listening to my AM radio again.

My favorite host, Glenn Beck, was the first political base that I turned to. He just seems like a normal, real person to me. Last week he said something that I should have always known. He helped me remember to see the big picture.

Glenn told a story about a picture of Christ that he had been searching for for over a year and a half and had been unable to find. Everywhere he traveled he would ask about the picture. Through many little miracles, the picture ended up on his doorstep a little over a week before Christmas. When Glenn opened the picture and found out how it ended up in his possession he felt a reassurance that the Lord knew him and was aware of him. In a sense, he felt God say to him, "I am here."

Glenn continued by saying that recently he had seen another miracle. He spoke of the recent crash of the airplane in the Hudson River. Not only did everyone on the plane survive, the flight of that plane was so close to the chaos of 9-11. The Lord wanted to speak to us as Americans and say, "I AM HERE." No matter how bad things get, or how lost we may sometimes feel. We are not surviving this on our own.

No comments: