Thursday, August 11, 2011

Post Family Staycation

Our Post Family Staycation began on Friday, August 5th. That is when Maycee learned the meaning of "being mauled". All in all, Maycee handled things pretty well, considering all of the traveling and late nights that we put her through for six days.

Everyone gathered at the Mom and Dad Posts on Friday night to begin our planning session. Honestly, I don't think that we did anything according to our original plans...but hey!...aren't plans made to be changed?

Since Saturday was Maycee's first birthday we decided to give the morning to just her, so everyone met at our house at 3pm for cupcakes and then dinner. Wow...feeding 15 people is SO much different than feeding 3. Everyone seemed to get full and so then we played some games!

Sunday we met at Nicole and Rustin's house for a barbecue. There were some very good eats at the Rays...mmmm. We had amazing shishcabobs (yeah, I have no idea how to spell that) and then ate Nicole's decadent cheesecake. I'm seriously drooling just thinking about it.

Near Nicole and Rustin's house they have a huge city park. We gathered there to throw Frisbees, footballs, Nerf balls, and anything else we could find.

Crazy things that happened at the park:
1. Brandon tried to kill pregnant Kenna with a Frisbee. Seriously, he almost decapitated her.
2. Sam tried to kill herself by falling out of the swing on her head.
...good thing we all made it out alive.

Monday we met at the Mom and Dad Posts for some amazing omelets cooked by Dad. I really don't know how he does those, but they are to die for. After omelets we cruised to see the movie of choice...Captain America.

Honestly, I was really looking forward to this movie. I am one of those nerds who likes super-hero movies (I blame Stephen). It was kind of a let down. It started out great, but then just went downhill. However, I love Tommy Lee Jones. He is great in just about anything, so that made up for a little bit of the crappiness.

That night we met at our home for our trial run of dutch oven cooking. I was super proud of Stephen and myself! It turned out really good! We made dutch oven potatoes and chicken. I was a little nervous about the whole thing until Marc said that if this is a cooking specialty of "old men" it shouldn't be too hard...uh. Thanks Marc!

We ended the night playing croquet and our spin off of Charades...darn that Brandon and his weird words. Seriously! Who knew that the Banditos were one of the largest motorcycle gangs in the country?! I live in Idaho.

Tuesday we met at Marc and Kenna's for lunch...then were pushed out the door by young children and forced to walk 10 miles in 100 degree weather to the park. (Exaggerations may have been used in this last statement...but not by much.)

At 3pm we hurried over to Roaring Springs for some discount tickets and 5 hours of "fun in the sun". Who knew those 5 hours would be so exhausting! That water park definitely needs a face lift in the form of MORE grass...and shade! I thought my poor little feet were going to burn to death on that blasted concrete!

There was only one slide that I really wanted to go down. It took a while to finally get everyone together to make it happen! Stephen, Brandon, and Marc had gone down earlier in the day and an hour or so later they followed Mitzi, Nicole, and I to give it a try. Through the entire line Brandon talked this ride up. Basically if I were paraphrasing, he said that we were going to freak out and die because we were going to tip over and be squashed into a million pieces...or something like that. The slide was fun, but not that traumatic. That didn't stop me, however, from screaming at the top of my lungs the whole way down.

One ride that will always have a special place in my heart is the Lazy River. I sat with my bottom squeezed into a tube with Maycee on my lap. She seemed to enjoy it until she got drenched by a waterfall...that was completely accidental. A little over a year ago I was in that exact same position on that same ride except Maycee was on the inside of my tummy instead of on top of my tummy. Maycee wasn't a huge fan of the water park, but she survived. Good thing she was free.

That night we ate pizza and stayed up way to late at the Mom and Dad Posts.

We had really messed with every ones sleep schedules this week, that on Wednesday we canceled everything and just decided to go bowling at 4. That didn't stop Stephen and Brandon and Marc from meeting at noon to play basketball. On the XBOX.

Bowling was really fun! I think that every time I go I expect to do better than I actually do, but when you only bowl once every 24 months it just makes for a bad game.

By this point in time Maycee was done being mauled by her four cousins. For most of the week she had put up with all four of them being in her face 24/7, but at the bowling ally she had had enough. She hit Dakoda and Beth. Dakoda was insulted and cried in the corner, Beth wasn't even phased and kept on mauling.

We ended our staycation that night by eating at Costa Vida. I love Mexican food. I was happy.

Here's to next year Post fam!

No comments: