Sunday, November 16, 2008

The Secret Service Club

When you are a primary teacher, you have good days, and you have bad days. Today was definitely a good day. I have been working on today's lesson for primary FOREVER! I really wanted to get the kids excited and get them to actually listen. After racking my brain, I came up with some pretty good ideas.

The lesson started out a little rocky. Service isn't something that 6 year old's think is that cool. When we started to talk about Jesus washing the feet of his disciples, they calmed down a bit.

I had all of the kids show me their shoes. I got on the floor and told them the story while pretending to clean their shoes. They were all a little disconcerted that their teacher was kneeling on the floor, in a dress, and pretending to wash their shoes. I then got to my little boy I have named Billy. As soon as I got to him with my pretend shoe scrubbers, he pulled his feet away. Immediately my eyes lit up as I told them about Jesus's apostle, Peter, and his refusal to let Jesus wash his feet.

After the feet washing story I jumped up and asked if anyone wanted to join a secret club. Immediately all of my kids raised their hands. I told them that I was starting a club called The Secret Service Club. In order to be a member they had to have their official "bags". They all lined up behind me and I handed them little Ziploc bags that said, "I am a member of the secret service club". Inside the bags were five pink paper hearts. My little Billy sat back down in his chair as soon as he saw that they were pink. He would have nothing to do with pink. I ignored him.

"Everyone take out their hearts! I need all of you to write down five names of people that you are going to do a secret service for. After you do your secret service, leave the heart with their name on it."

As I was explaining the rules, Billy crawled to my backpack and pulled out another Ziploc bag to begin the secret service work.

The kids were very excited about the club. When the bell rang to leave, the kids hurried to put away their hearts. Most of them had siblings in sharing time and didn't want them to see their secret.

At choir practice, one of my boy's moms came up to me and said, "Kami, right when we got home from church, my son ran into our room and made our bed and put two hearts on the comforter with our names on it."

I love teaching primary.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is SOOO sweet..you are amazing! I would have loved to have you as my teacher. What cute kids.

I'm going to be sustained Sunday as a primary teacher!! I am so excited! I've been wanting that for.....forever. I can't wait. :)